Tuesday, October 5, 2010

How to fit Writing in?


         As a newly hired literacy person, I am learning the process of title one, and reading recovery. Pulling individuals and small groups from first and second grade has been a fun and rewarding experience. Most students I see 3-4 days a week for half an hour (including travel time within the building).  I can fit in the word work, the reading of new and familiar texts, the introduction to new sight vocab, but how do I fit in meaningful writing time? With all the other aspects that I have to bring in, how can I help these challenged children to learn to love writing?         
         Having taught K-2 for six years, I loved the luxury of scheduling time by blocking off big chunks of writing workshop, or tying writing into other aspects of our curriculum.  Mini lessons were an integral part of each day. As busy as our schedule was, we could always fit in a block of time somewhere.
         My second graders love to write and can string thoughts together in a meaningful way.  I know how powerful giving them enough time and opportunity to write is. I wonder if it would be too much to ask them to begin something one day and continue it the next.
         I can just imagine one little group at a time, separating and sitting by themselves scattered in my small room to find a comfortable place to write.
         Its only the beginning of October, I guess I need to think about it more. 

4 comments:

  1. I think it's a reasonable thing to expect from them. However, you would know better than we do about what's developmentally appropriate for your bunch. Trust your instincts.
    SAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a challenge, but you'll find a way to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think that a "writing" check in would be a great way to start time together each day - but I agree with everyone else - you probably know best and will find a way to make what is important to you work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...it's October. Give yourself time to get used to your new program. You will find a way in!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete