Monday, October 11, 2010

Torn

The last 14 years of my life have centered around my children, my poor husband takes second place to what they are doing. Along comes a big soccer tournament, two hours south of our vacation home where we were spending the long weekend. My son is in his last season with his travel team as they end it at his age.
     After getting a concussion last weekend, he is banned from playing for a week. But he really wanted to see his friends play. I made the decision to leave him having fun with others at our camp. His team made the championships and won the entire tournament. Although there were twenty people having dinner at my house, my phone kept pinging keeping me updated of the game and the score. The clock to growing up is ticking. I should have taken him down to watch anyway. But as another mom said, "you care more about it than he does. Its just a game." It's hard not to get caught up in the sports hype. A good reminder that it isn't all about me either. I ended up enjoying myself as much as my son was after that. I only hope that his memories of a great family weekend will stay longer than missing a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment