Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Early Morning Walk

 It’s amazing how your mind can play tricks on you. My dog and I were ready to take our usual early morning walk today, it's looks quite warm on the thermometer. As I turned on the outside lights, I noticed a fog surrounded the lamppost. If the dog wasn't jumping around me, I may have changed my mind. . We live in a secluded spot where the houses are 5+ acres apart. A flashlight is a must.                                                                  
         As we began our walk, i noticed how still and peaceful it was. The flashlight barely went though the gloomy fog, only twenty or so feet in front of me. The wet leaves were dripping down onto the woody ground and trees were snapping and  creaking as we passed by. Bonus, my black lab, darted back and forth across the road and occasionally went into the underbrush. I heard a continuous snapping of twigs as though something was walking nearby. I told Bonus to listen. He paused, looking around to the spot I was facing. He bolted into the woods, I heard a scuffle, please no skunk, please no skunk. It must have been a deer as he turned and came back within 30 seconds.   Being an English lab with shorter legs and a thick body, speed is not his thing! When we usually run into a deer, he will go about 100 yards and then stop and give up.
         As I kept walking, I began to revert back to a thirteen year old thinking of all the things that could jump out at me, even though I know better at my forty + years.  
         Darkness, Drip, crack, drip crack, the woods are noisy this morning.
         Nothing of course happened but your hearing certainly magnifies as you find your vision is more limited.   As much as I love getting up early and going outside, I miss the early morning light of the spring. There is nothing better than feeing like you are the only one awake, enjoying a new day, even in the black fog! 

2 comments:

  1. You built so much tension with your words as you wrote. I felt as though I were right there beside you, wondering if something was going to jump out at me, as I read your writing.

    Glad you're a-okay.

    SAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your imagery of the fog and flashlight and snapping twigs. I'm glad nothing surprising happened, I really didn't want to read something bad. Of course a skunk would have been bad enough!

    ReplyDelete